Monday, March 26, 2012

He, he, he, he, he, he, he, he, he, he!

Tyler and Meadow make me laugh - out loud - every single day. 

Whether it be Tyler taking the literal to the extreme, or Meadow giggling at a toy, or the TV or her toes, there is not a day that goes by that I don't get a good chuckle from something one or both of them do.
Just a couple of weeks ago, it became painfully apparent that Tyler spends too much time at the doctor's office.  As we were greeted by the medical student that was lucky enough to do our work up before the doctor came in, Tyler showed that he too could easily be in medical school as he, without prompting, took his own weight and height, put on his own blood pressure cuff and even commented "91 over 55.  Pretty good.  90's over 50's... just the way I like it!". 
As the medical student was exiting to let the doctor know we were 'ready', Tyler stopped her and said:
"Excuse me.  You never told me your name."
"I didn't?"  she replied.  "I am so sorry!  My name is really, really long.  I will tell it to you.  Are you ready?  It is... are you sure your ready... it's ... brace yourself... Francesca."
Tyler replied, with an absolute straight face "Nice to meet you brace yourself Francesca.  I'm Tyler."
We both just lost it!  Hysterical!  Just a good reminder to her, and all of us, that we learn as much outside of the classroom as we do in the classroom.  I am sure she will not make that mistake again.


But Tyler's humor doesn't only come out when at the doc's office.  Believe it or not, Kindergarteners have homework.  And even more unbelievable, yet somehow not surprising, Tyler loves doing it. Each night, as I am finishing making dinner, Tyler sits at the dining room table and completes his homework for that day.  This is one of my favorite times of day, only second to the time Tyler, Meadow and I spend walking to and from school.  Imagine 1950's living in 2012... and yes, I still wear an apron and do my best to have one, if not two, sides with each meal.  But this is more than just time with Tyler... it is a small trip down memory lane, as I have in my home the dining room table that was in my house growing up... the exact same table where I spent many, many, many hours studying, completing projects and doing homework.  Oh the memories... but I digress....  Today, Tyler sits at the table, his feet swinging to and fro as his legs are still too short to touch the floor, gaining his independance and perfecting the ability to complete his work on his own.  I help get him started and then return to my cooking -  available for questions should they arise.  Meadow, of course, is running around, playing, singing, jumping, spinning... with no regard that very important studying is taking place just steps away from her.  Tyler has expressed to me that she can be a bit distracting but I guess I haven't done much to change our routine.  Last night, during homework time, I ran downstairs for less than 3 minutes to flip the laundry.  When I returned, I found this sign propped up perfectly next to where Tyler was working. 



Do not disturb.  Doing homework.
Meadow and I got the message!  =)



And now, for some laughs, at my expense...  Tyler is again playing T-ball this year!  And we are lucky enough to have Dan and our good friend Mike as his coaches!  "Coach Dad" and "Coach Mike" make T-ball even more fun!  And as if that wasn't cool enough... we just found out that they will be the Pirates this year!  Well..... guess what team I played on when I was 8?  You guessed it, the Pirates.  Granted, I stood in right field, praying that the ball wouldn't come anywhere near me... but still, I was a member of the team!  So, for a good laugh, and in honor of my two boys being "Pirates" this year, here is a picture of me, in my backyard, May 1983, on the day of my first Little League game.  Enjoy the chuckles!